It’s not really true that all your apps are always living in your Applications folder. And it’s not true that you -as administrator user- know all applications which are living in your Mac… Then, it’ll be interesting for us to know exactly where they are resting. You need to look carefully into your computer and discover them, because Mac OS native app; LaunchPad (F4) is not the place to pick up all your apps. To search this kind of files maybe will be a hard work to do…. Then, today we’re going to search all executable files in your Mac in easiest way.
How to search all executable files on a Mac by smart folders
To get this goal we are going to create a smart folder with a rule which search for all executable files in your computer quickly. This tutorial is made on Yosemite, but it could be done on Mavericks also.
· Go to your Mac’s desktop and give focus to Finder App. Look on next picture…
· Now click on Finder’s ‘File‘ menu to get its options sub-menu and click on ‘New Smart Folder’ one… or just hit down shortcut ⌥⌘N (Command, Option, N) to create a smart folder quickly.
· You’ll get new Finder window with a special ‘search’ bar in it. Look into next picture. Now you are able to make a special search and to save its results in a new folder. That means that we could search for all executable files in your Mac and let them into a new and dedicated folder.
· Now you must make sure you click on “This Mac” between two options availables on searching bar. This option will make your search on all your Mac content and not only in your desktop content.
· Now we’re going to add a special searching rule by hitting down + button. Look at next picture.
· You can add or remove all needed rules. But we’re going to need only one rule. Then, set this rule on your new Mac’s smart folder as following pictures…
· Rule is: Kind is Executable
· Your computer will start to search in ‘This Mac’ all files which ‘Kind’ is ‘Executable”. This is rule we made. Wait for your Mac, it could take some minutes. At folder’s bottom side your computer will show you searching progress with a text… look on it. It could be a ‘Searching…” text while working maybe or number of items found by the rule.
· When finished you’ll see all apps and executable files in your Mac. Now you can decide what to do. If you look into results you´ll see some forgotten or missed apps. Take care and ‘scan’ by yourself all found files.
· To keep this searching rule on your Mac, just click on ‘Save‘ button located at window’s up-right side. Look at next picture. For example, ‘Directory Utility‘ is one app in your Mac which is missed, right?. Now you can see and open it…. Next picture shows your dialog box to save smart folder.
Now, you’ve created a smart folder with all your applications and executable files…